Construction site adjacent to water body
Controlling sediment and other pollutants from construction sites is crucial to an effective stormwater management program. Minimum Control Measure (MCM) 4 of the MS4 General Permit requires permittees to have and enforce a construction site stormwater runoff control program to reduce the impacts of land disturbing activities to stormwater.
MS4 General Permit requirements for MCM 4
The construction site stormwater runoff control program must include:
- A regulatory mechanism that establishes erosion, sediment, and controls as stringent as the Construction Stormwater permit requirements for construction sites.
- A site plan review procedure for conducting site plan reviews to ensure compliance with the construction stormwater runoff control regulatory mechanism.
- Written procedures for the receipt and consideration of reports of noncomplaince at construction sites received from the public.
- Construction site inspection procedures for inspecting public and private construction sites. The procdures should include: procedures for identifying and prioritizing sites for inspections, the frequency of site inspections, the name or title of the person responsible for inspections, and a checklist or other written means to document site inspections.
- Enforcement response procedures to compel compliance with the construction stormwater runoff control regulatory mechanism.
- Documentation as described here.
Click on the blue links above in the "MS4 General Permit requirements" section to get more information and resources specific to those permit requirements. In addition, all resources related to MCM 4 are below.
Fact sheets and guidance documents
Documentation and tracking templates