- Akin, Michelle, Jiang Huang, Xianming Shi, David Veneziano, and Dan Williams. 2013. Snow removal at extreme temperatures. No. Project 99085/CR11-04. 2013. Montana State University, Western Transportation Institute. Bozeman, MT.
- Albright, Matthew. 2005. Changes in water quality in an urban stream following the use of organically derived deicing products. Lake and Reservoir Management 21, no. 1:119-124.
- Amsler, D.E. 2009. Proper Calibration: Are your solid materials spreaders and liquid distribution systems calibrated properly? SALT & Highway Deicing, Vol. 23. No.3. Salt Institute for the Winter Maintenance Professional. Alexandria, VA.
- Amrhein, Christopher, James E. Strong, and Paul A. Mosher. 1992. Effect of deicing salts on metal and organic matter mobilization in roadside soils. Environmental Science & Technology 26, no. 4: 703-709.
- Bäckström, Mattias, Stefan Karlsson, Lars Bäckman, Lennart Folkeson, and Bo Lind. 2004. Mobilisation of heavy metals by deicing salts in a roadside environment. Water Research 38, no. 3 (2004): 720-732.
- Barnes, Michael. 1993. Metro Division Snow and Ice Research Field Studies, 1992-1993 Winter Season. Minnesota Department of Transportation, Metro Maintenance Operations. Roseville, MN.
- Berthouex, Paul M., and George A. Prior. 1968. Underground Corrosion and Salt Infiltration. Journal (American Water Works Association) 60:3: 345-356.
- Birst, S., M. Smadi. 2009. Evaluation of North Dakota’s Fixed Automated Spray Technology Systems. North Dakota Advanced Traffic Analysis Center. Fargo, ND.
- Blackburn and Associates. 2009. Calibrated Guide for Ground-Speed-Controlled and Manually Controlled Material Spreaders. Wisconsin Department of Transportation Clear Roads Technical Advisory Committee. Madison, WI.
- Blömqvist, Goran, Johansson, E.L. 1999. Airborne spreading and deposition of de-icing salt – a case study. The Science of the Total Environment. 235: 161-169.
- Boselly, S. E., and D. Ernst. 1993. Road Weather Information Systems, Volume 2: Implementation Guide. Strategic Highway Research Program SHRP-H 351.
- Brenner, Mark V., R.R. Horner. 1992. Effects of calcium magnesium acetate (CMA) on dissolved oxygen in natural waters. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 7 239-265. Elsevier Science Publishers.
- Cambridge Systematics, Inc, High Street Consulting Group. 2009. Performance Measurement Framework for Highway Capacity Decision Making. Strategic Highway Research Program 2 report S2-CO2-RR. Transportation Research Board. Washington, D.C.
- Cheng, K. C., and T. F. Guthrie. 1998. Liquid road deicing environment impact. Transportation Association of Canada. Ottawa, Ontario.
- Cody, R. D., P. G. Spry, A. M. Cody, and G.-L. Gan. 1994. The Role of Magnesium in Concrete Deterioration. The Iowa Highway Research Board, Final Report. HR-355. Iowa Department of Transportation. Ames, IA.
- CTC & Associates LLC. 2004. Anti-Caking Admixtures to Road Salt. WisDOT Transportation Synthesis Report. Wisconsin Department of Transportation. Madison, WI.
- CTC & Associates LLC. 2009. Levels of Service in Winter Maintenance Operations: A Survey of State Practice. WisDOT Transportation Synthesis Report. Wisconsin Department of Transportation. Madison, WI.
- Cusak, Thomas P. No date. Environmental Impacts from Road Salt. Power Point presentation. Leggette, Brashears & Graham, Inc. Shelton, CT.
- Davis, J. G., R.M. Waskom, T.A. Bauder. 2012. Managing Sodic Soils. Crop Series: Soils. Colorado State University Extension. Fort Collins, CO.
- Dindorf, Carolyn, C. Fortin. 2008. Winter Parking Lot and Sidewalk Maintenance Manual: Reducing Environmental Impacts of Chloride. Minnesota Pollution Control Agency. St. Paul, MN.
- Dindorf, Carolyn, C. Fortin, B. Asleson, J. Erdmann. 2014. The Real Cost of Salt Use for Winter Maintenance in the Twin Cities Metropolitan Area. Minnesota Pollution Control Agency. St. Paul, MN.
- Fay, Laura, K. Volkening, C. Gallaway, and X. Shi. 2008. Performance and impacts of current deicing and anti-icing products: User perspective versus experimental data. In 87th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board, Washington, DC.
- Fay, Laura, Michelle Akin, Xianming Shi, and David Veneziano. 2013. Revised Chapter 8, Winter Operations and Salt, Sand and Chemical Management, of the Final Report on NCHRP 25-25 (04). Montana State University, Western Transportation Institute. Bozeman, MT.
- Fischel, Marion. 2001. Evaluation of selected deicers based on a review of the literature. Colorado Department of Transportation. Denver, CO.
- Fonnesbech, Jens Kr. 2001. Ice control technology with 20 percent brine on highways. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board 1741, no. 1: 54-59. Washington, D.C.
- Fortin, Connie, Tjaden, L. Mulhern, N. 2014. Chloride Free Snow and Ice Control Material. Transportation Research Synthesis, TRS 1411. Minnesota Department of Transportation, St. Paul, MN.
- Fu, Liping, Raqib Omer, and Chaozhe Jiang. 2012. Field test of organic deicers as prewetting and anti-icing agents for winter road maintenance. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board 2272: 130-135.
G, H, K
- Garrett, Brandon. 2009. Just Add Water. Kansas LTAP Newsletter. University of Kansas Transportation Center for Road & Bridge Agencies. Lawrence, KS.
- Granato, G.E., P. E. Church, and V. J. Stone. 1995. Mobilization of Major and Trace Constituents of Highway Runoff in Groundwater Potentially Caused by Deicing Chemical Migration. Transportation Research Record 1483. pp 91-104.
- Horner, Richard Ray. 1988. Environmental monitoring and evaluation of calcium magnesium acetate (CMA). NCHRP Report, Issue Number 305. Transportation Research Board. Washington, DC.
- Howard, K.W.F., Haynes, J. Urban Geology 1993. 3: Groundwater Contamination due to Road De-icing Chemicals - Salt Balance Implications. Geoscience Canada. 20:1:1-8.
- Kelsey, P., and R. G. Hootman. 1992. Deicing Salt and Effects on Vegetation along Highways. Case Study: Deicing Salt Deposition on the Morton Arboretum. Chemical Deicers and the Environment: 253-81.
- Kelsey, P., and R. G. Hootman. 1992. Case Study: Deicing Salt Deposition on the Morton Arboretum. Deicing Salt Dispersion and Effect on Vegetation along Highways. Chemical Deicers and the Environment: 253-81. Lewis Publishers.
- Ketcham, S.A., L. David Minsk, Robert R. Blackburn, Edward J. Fleege. 1996. Manual of Practice for an Effective Anti-icing Program - A Guide For Highway Winter Maintenance Personnel. US Army Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory, Hanover, New Hampshire.
- Kroening, Sharon, Ferrey, M. 2013. The Condition of Minnesota’s Groundwater, 2007 – 2011. Minnesota Pollution Control Agency. St. Paul, MN.
- Kuemmel, David, and Rashad Hanbali. 1992. Accident analysis of ice control operations. Marquette University Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering. Milwaukee, WI.
- Lee, Hyomin, R. D. Cody, A. M. Cody, P. G. Spry. 2000. Effects of Various Deicing Chemical on Pavement Concrete Deterioration. Proceedings of the Mid-Continent Transportation Symposium 2000. Center for Transportation Research and Education. Iowa State University. Ames, IA.
- Levelton Consultants Limited. 2008. Guidelines for the selection of snow and ice control materials to mitigate environmental impacts. National Cooperative Highway Research Program, American Association of State Highway, and Transportation Officials, Vol. 577. Transportation Research Board. Washington, DC.
- Lewis, Michael A., and W. Wang. 1997. Water quality and aquatic plants. Plants for Environmental Studies. CRC Lewis Publishers, New York 141-175.
- Local Road Research Board. 2012. Minnesota Snow and Ice Control: Field Handbook for Snowplow Operators. Second Revision.
- C.E. Locke, K.J. Kennelley, and M.D. Boren. 1987. TRR (J. Transp. Res. Board) 1113:(1):30-38.
- McCrum, R.L. 1988. Corrosion Evaluation of Calcium Magnesium Acetate (CMA), Salt (NaCl), and CMA/Salt Solutions. Michigan Department of Transportation, Materials and Technology Division. Lansing, MI.
- McFarland, B. L., and K. T. O'Reilly. 1992. Environmental impact and toxicological characteristics of calcium magnesium acetate. Chemical Deicers and the Environment, p 194-227. Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton, Florida.
- Minnesota Department of Transportation. 2012. State Highway Systems Operations Plan. St. Paul, MN.
- Missouri Department of Transportation. 1999. Mirror Mounted Pavement Temperature Sensors. MoDOT Research Development and Technology Division. Jefferson City, MO.
- National Research Council (US). 1991. Comparing Salt and Calcium Magnesium Acetate. Highway Deicing. No. 235. Transportation Research Board.
- New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services. 2014. Environmental, Health and Economic Impacts of Road Salt. Web page. Concord, NH.
- Nixon, Wilfred R., and Jing Xiong. 2009. Investigation of Materials for the Reduction and Prevention of Corrosion on Highway Maintenance Equipment. No. IHRB Project TR-472. Hydroscience and Engineering, University of Iowa. Iowa City, IA.
- Norrström, A-C., and E. Bergstedt. 2001. The impact of road de-icing salts (NaCl) on colloid dispersion and base cation pools in roadside soils. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 127, no. 1-4 (2001): 281-299.
- Novotny, Eric, Murphy, D., Stefan, H. 2007. Road Salt Effects on the Water Quality of Lakes in the Twin Cities Metropolitan Area. St. Anthony Falls Laboratory. Minneapolis, MN.
- Ohio Salt Storage Workgroup. 2013. State Oversight of Road Salt Storage in Midwestern and Northeastern U.S. Ohio Water Resources Council, State Coordinating Committee on Ground Water. Columbus, OH.
- Peart, J. W., and M. L. Jacoby. 1991. Deicer Mortar-Rebar, Pending Study. Presented at International Symposium on CMA, Northeastern University. Boston, MA.
- Peterson, Olof. 1991. The Chemical Effects on Cement Mortar of Solution of Calcium Magnesium Acetate and Other Deicing Salts. Division of Building Materials, Lund Institute of Technology. Lund, Sweden.
- Peterson, Gary, P. Keranen, R. Pletan. 2009. Local Government Snowplow Salt and Sander Controller Calibration Guide. Minnesota Department of Transportation, Research Services Center. St. Paul, MN.
- Peterson G., Keranen P., and Pletan R. 2010. Identifying the Parameter for Effective Implementation of Liquid-Only Plow Routes. Publication Clear Roads 09-02. Clear Roads, Wisconsin Department of Transportation and U.S. Department of Transportation, October 2010.
- Pilgrim, Keith M. 2013. Determining the Aquatic Toxicity of Deicing Materials. No. Project 99083/CR11-02. 2013. Minnesota Department of Transportation. St. Paul, MN.
- Public Sector Consultants. (1993). Current Deicing Practices and Alternative Deicing Materials. in The Use of Selected Deicing materials on Michigan Roads: Environmental and Economic Impacts.
- Rhodan, Maya, J. Sanburn. 2014. How Beet Juice is Helping Keep Roads Safe this Winter. Time Newsfeed, February 14, 2014. http://time.com/5761/salt-shortage-triggers-beet-juice-cheese-brine-alternatives/
- Rubin, J., P. E. Garder, C. E. Morris, K. L. Nichols, J. M. Peckenham, P. McKee, A. Stern, and T. O. Johnson. 2010. Maine Winter Roads: salt, safety, environment and cost. A report by the Margaret Chase Smith Policy Center. The University of Maine. Orono, ME.
- Salt Institute. 2015. Salt Storage Handbook: Safe and Sustainable Salt Storage.
- Sander, Andrew, Eric Novotny, Omid Mohseni, and Heinz Stefan. 2007. Inventory of Road Salt Use in the Minneapolis/St. Paul Metropolitan Area. St. Anthony Falls Hydraulic Laboratory. Minneapolis, MN.
- Santagata, M.C., M. Collepardi. 2000. The effect of CMA deicers on concrete properties. Cement and Concrete Research, V. 30, I. 9, 1389-1394. Elsevier Science.
- Scott, B., Minge, E., and S. Peterson. 2005. The Aurora Consortium: Laboratory and Field Studies of Pavement Temperature Sensors, Final Report: MN/RC – 2005-44, SRF Consulting Group, Inc., Minneapolis, MN, November 2005 [Online].
- Shi, Xianming, Laura Fay, Zhengxian Yang, Tuan Anh Nguyen, and Yajun Liu. 2009. Corrosion of deicers to metals in transportation infrastructure: Introduction and recent developments. Corrosion reviews 27, no. 1-2 (2009): 23-52.
- Sleeper, F. 2013. Winter Deicer Maintenance Practices on Impervious Surfaces: Impacts on the Environment. Water Resources Center, University of Minnesota.
- Slick, David S. 1987. Effect of Calcium Magnesium Acetate on Pavements and Motor Vehicles. Transportation Research Record 1157. Glenwood, MD.
- Spry, Paul G., Anita M. Cody, and G. Gan. 1994 The role of magnesium in concrete deterioration. Department of Geological and Atmospheric Sciences, Iowa State University. Ames, IA.
- Stefan, Heinz G., Eric Novotny, Andrew Sander, and Omid Mohseni. 2008. [Study of Environmental Effects of De-Icing Salt on Water Quality in the Twin Cities Metropolitan Area, Minnesota]. St. Anthony Falls Hydraulic Laboratory. Minneapolis, MN.
- Sumsion, Eric S., and W. Spencer Guthrie. 2013. Physical and Chemical Effects of Deicers on Concrete Pavement: Literature Review. No. UT-13.09. 2013.
- Sutter, L. 2008. The deleterious chemical effects of concentrated deicing solutions on portland cement concrete. No. SD2002-01-F. South Dakota Department of Transportation. Pierre, SD.
U, V, W, Y
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 2014. Salt Application and Storage. Web Page. http://water.epa.gov/polwaste/npdes/swbmp/Road-Salt-Application-and-Storage.cfm
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 1999. “Minimizing Effects from Highway Deicing”. Stormwater Management Fact Sheet. Office of Water. Washington, DC.
- Vitaliano, D. F. 1992. “An economic assessment of the social costs of highway salting and the efficiency of substituting a new deicing material”. J. Pol. Anal. Manage.11: 397–418.
- Wisconsin Transportation Information Center. 2005. “Pre-wetting and Anti-icing – Techniques for Winter Road Maintenance”. Wisconsin Transportation Bulletin, No. 22. University of Wisconsin Department of Engineering Professional Development. Madison, WI.
- Ye, Zhirui, Christopher K. Strong, Laura Fay, and Xianming Shi. 2009. Cost benefits of weather information for winter road maintenance. Montana State University, Western Transportation Institute. Bozeman, MT.
/* Manually replaced by abbott Aug 6 '21 */