Information: Reference to specific commercial products, processes, or services by trade name, trademark, service mark, manufacturer, or otherwise does not constitute or imply endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency.
CONTECH Engineered Solutions, LLC. The Jellyfish is an engineered filtration system designed to filter pollutants from stormwater runoff. It is classified as a manufactured treatment device (mtd).
This page provides information on pollutant removal credits for Contech The Jellyfish, links to supporting information, and links to information on system design, inspection, operation, and maintenance.
TP and TSS credits
When conditions described in this section are met, applicable Contech The Jellyfish systems are approved for the following removals for total suspended solids (TSS) and total phosphorus (TP).
- TSS: 80 percent removal
- TP: Tier 1
- Credit: 50 percent removal
- Conditions for receiving credit
- Inspect manufactured treatment device a minimum of twice during year 1. Conduct inspections following manufacturer’s instructions/recommendations and any additional instructions listed in this section. Use maintenance indicators provided by manufacturers to determine if maintenance is needed. Maintenance procedures should follow manufacturer’s guidelines. After year 1, follow manufacturers inspection, operation, and maintenance schedule and procedures unless otherwise required or unless year 1 inspections indicate a need for increased inspection and/or operation and maintenance.
- Comply with appropriate configurations and Use conditions from TAPE.
- Comply with appropriate configurations in the Design Manual and Use conditions
- TP: Tier 2
- Credit: 56 percent removal
- Conditions for receiving credit
- Must meet Tier 1 conditions.
- DP should be 25 percent or less of TP. For a discussion of conditions where DP is likely to exceed 25% of TP, link here. TP removal should be adjusted when DP fractions exceed 25%, as described at the link provided above.
- Inspect manufactured treatment device monthly during the frost free season for the first year of operation after construction. Conduct inspections following manufacturer’s instructions/recommendations. Use maintenance indicators provided by manufacturers to determine if maintenance is needed. Maintenance procedures should follow manufacturer’s guidelines. Determine future inspection and maintenance schedules from findings during the first year of operation.
- TP: Tier 3 - no Tier 3 credit at this time
For more information on credits, see TP and TSS credits and guidance for manufactured treatment devices (mtds)
For a discussion of Contech The Jellyfish configurations see appropriate configurations in the design, installation, and specification documents.
To receive the full credit, Contech The Jellyfish systems must comply with the following conditions.
- Design, assemble, install, operate, and maintain Contech The Jellyfish systems in accordance with applicable manuals.
- The maximum flow rates through the devices are specified below.
- Basic and phosphorus treatment: Sized at a hydraulic loading rate of no greater than 0.21 gpm/sf filter surface for hi-flo cartridges and 0.11 gpm/sf filter surface for draindown cartridges.
- Effective Cartridge height 54 in, Design Treatment Flow Rate: Hi-Flo 80 gpm, Draindown 40 gpm; Design Sediment Mass Loading Capacity: Hi-Flo 125 lbs, Draindown 63 lbs
- Effective Cartridge height 40 in, Design Treatment Flow Rate: Hi-Flo 60 gpm, Draindown 30 gpm; Design Sediment Mass Loading Capacity: Hi-Flo 93 lbs, Draindown 46 lbs
- Effective Cartridge height 27 in, Design Treatment Flow Rate: Hi-Flo 40 gpm, Draindown 20 gpm; Design Sediment Mass Loading Capacity: Hi-Flo 63 lbs, Draindown 31 lbs
- Effective Cartridge height 15 in, Design Treatment Flow Rate: Hi-Flo 22 gpm, Draindown 11 gpm; Design Sediment Mass Loading Capacity: Hi-Flo 35 lbs, Draindown 17 lbs
- Systems are designed to treat a specified water quality volume or annual average runoff volume. The annual average runoff treated can be determined using methods that are specified here.
- Each site plan must undergo review before approval of the unit for site installation.
- The Jellyfish media shall conform to the specifications described in Specifications and shall be sourced from Contech Environmental Services, Inc. (A Forterra Company) with no substitutions.
- Follow maintenance procedures given in the most recent version of the Operation and Maintenance Manual.
- Install the Contech The Jellyfish in such a manner that flows exceeding the maximum Contech The Jellyfish operating rate are conveyed around the Contech The Jellyfish media and will not resuspend captured sediment.
- Discharges from the Contech The Jellyfish units shall not cause or contribute to water quality standards violations in receiving waters.
- When applicable, adhere to use conditions provided in Washington State Department of Ecology's report (Ecology's Conditions of Use) GENERAL USE LEVEL DESIGNATION (GULD) FOR BASIC (TSS) AND PHOSPHORUS For Contech Engineered Solutions Jellyfish® Filter. Note that some information in this report is specific to Washington State and not applicable to Minnesota.
Credits apply only to the water being treated by a device. The applicable treatment volume must be determined using one of the methods described here.
The Tier 1 credit equals the TAPE-approved credits. Tier 2 credit was determined by analyzing water quality data collected at the Lake Union Ship Canal Test Facility in Seattle, WA. The site consisted of 1.69 acres of impervious surface from parking and roadways areas. The unit size was 6 X 11 feet.
MPCA compiled data from General Use Level Designation Technical Evaluation Report. Below are summary statistics for the device.
- Median TP inflow - 0.338 mg/L
- Median TP removal (all data with concentrations > 0.05 mg/L) - 75.2%
- 95% lower confidence limit TP removal (all data with concentrations > 0.05 mg/L) - 68.2%
- Median TP removal (data meeting TAPE criteria) - 71.0%
- 95% lower confidence limit TP removal (data meeting TAPE criteria) - 66.8%
- Median TSS removal (all data) - 86.2%
- 95% lower confidence limit TSS removal (all data) - 74.1%
TAPE means and medians represent values meeting TAPE criteria for TP (inflow concentrations of 0.1 to 0.5 mg/L) and TSS (inflow concentrations greater than 20 mg/L). Of the 14 samples, TAPE medians and means represent 10 samples for TP and 13 samples for TSS.
Inspection, operation, and maintenance
Meet the conditions specified for the appropriate TP and/or TSS credit.
Meet the following conditions, unless conditions for the appropriate TP and/or TSS credit are more stringent.
- 2 maintenance visits required annually if annual precipitation exceeds 30 inches; one visit annually if annual precipitation is less than 30 inches