MPCA contracted with TetraTech to assess if or how street sweeping could be incorporated in to the Minimal Impact Design Standards Calculator and the MPCA Simple Estimator. Recommendations are provided below.
The MPCA will be assessing how the Simple Estimator could accommodate street sweeping.
- Do not incorporate street sweeping into MIDS.
- Further evaluate incorporation of street sweeping into the Simple Estimator.
- Determine whether a TP reduction cap should be based on a fixed percentage of overall loading or a reduction based on EMCs/efficiencies for street sweeping.
- Consider a literature review to establish revised EMCs for land uses, prior to BMP treatment and removal efficiencies.
- Incorporate additional data fields into the Simple Estimator for number of rain days, sweeping frequency, and TP load removed using the Sweeping Calculator.