- Abu-Zreig, M., R. P. Rudra, H. R. Whiteley, M. N. Lalonde, and N. K. Kaushik. 2003. Phosphorus Removal in Vegetated Filter Strips. Journal of Environmental Quality, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 613–619.
- Abu-Zreig, M., R. P. Rudra, M. N. Lalonde, H. R. Whiteley, and N. K. Kaushik. 2004. Experimental Investigation of Runoff Reduction and Sediment Removal by Vegetated Filter Strips. Hydrological Processes, Vol. 18, No. 11, pp. 2029–2037.
- Barrett, M. E., P. M. Walsh, J. F. Malina, R. J. Charbeneau. 1998. Performance of Vegetative Controls for Treating Highway Runoff. Journal of Environmental Engineering, Vol. 124, No. 11, pp. 1121–1128.
- Blanco-Canqui, H., C. J. Gantzer, S. H. Anderson, and E. E. Alberts. 2004. Grass Barriers for Reduced Concentrated Flow Induced Soil and Nutrient Loss. Soil Science, Vol. 68, pp. 1963-1972.
- California Environmental Protection Agency. 2014. Draft Amendments to Statewide Water Quality Control Plans to Control Trash. Prepared by the California Environmental Protection Agency, Division of Water Quality, State Water Resources Control Board, Sacramento, CA.
- California Department of Transportation. 2004. BMP Retrofit Pilot Program Final Report. CTSW-RT-01-050. Prepared by the California Department of Transportation CALTRANS, Division of Environmental Analysis, Sacramento, CA.
- City of Madison. 2015. Leave the Leaf.
- Coventry University. 1996. Laboratory Tests Conducted in the School of the Built Environment Coventry University, UK on X-CEPTOR CONCRETE BYPASS INTERCEPTOR Also Known As STORMCEPTOR in North America. Prepared by Coventry University. UK for CSR Humes (UK) Ltd. Pontyclun, Whales.
- Contech Engineered Solutions. 2006. Vortechs® Technical Bulletin 5. Vortechs System Performance: Oil Removal Efficiency. Prepared by Contech Engineered Solutions, West Chester, OH.
- Contech Engineered Solutions. 2006. Vortechs® Technical Bulletin 2. Particle Distribution of Sediments and the Effect on Heavy Metal Removal. Prepared by Contech Engineered Solutions, West Chester, OH.
- Comprehensive Environmental Inc. and New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services. 2008. New Hampshire Stormwater Manual, Volume 2, Post-Construction Best Management Practices Selection & Design. Prepared by Comprehensive Environmental Inc. Merrimack, NH, and the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services, Concord, NH.
- District Department of the Environment (DDOE). 2013. Stormwater Management Guidebook.
- District Department of Environment. 2013. Anacostia River Watershed Trash TMDL Implementation Strategy. Prepared by the District Department of Environment. Stormwater Management Division.
- Goel, P.K., R.P. Rudra, B. Gharabaghi, S. Das, and N. Gupta. 2004. Pollutants Removal by Vegetated Filter Strips Planted with Different Grasses. 2004 American Society of Association Executives/Canadian Society for Engineering in Agricultural, Food, and Biological Systems. Paper Number 042177. Fairmont Chateau Laurier. The Westin, Government Centre, Ottawa, ON, Canada. August 1–4.
- Gharabaghi, B., R. P. Rudra, H. R. Whitely, and W. T. Dickinson. 2000. Sediment-Removal Efficiency of Vegetative Filter Strips. 2000 Annual Research Report. Prepared by the Guelph Turfgrass Institute, Guelph, ON, Canada.
- Horsley Witten Group, University of New Hampshire Stormwater Center, and Loon Environmental. 2010. Rhode Island Stormwater Design and Installation Standards Manual. Prepared by Horsley Witten Group, Sandwich, MA; University of New Hampshire Stormwater Center, Durham, NH; and Loon Environmental, LLC, Riverside, RI; for the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management, Providence, RI, and the Coastal Resources Management Council, Wakefield, RI.
- Inver Grove Heights, 2006. Inver Grove Heights Stormwater Manual 2006. Prepared by Emmons & Olivier Resources, Inc. Oakdale, MN.
- Kayhanian, M., Suverkropp, C., Ruby, A., and Tsay, K. 2007. Characterization and prediction of highway runoff constituent event mean concentration. J. Environ. Manage. 85, 279.
- Maestre, A., and Pitt, R. 2005. The National Stormwater Quality Database, Version 1.1: A Compilation and Analysis of NPDES Stormwater Monitoring Information. University of Alabama. Center for Watershed Protection.
- Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection, 2008. Massachusetts Stormwater Handbook, Volume 2. Prepared by the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection, Boston, MA.
- Maniquiz-Redillas, M. C., F. K. Geronimo, and L. H. Kim. 2014. Investigation on the Effectiveness of Pretreatment in Stormwater Management Technologies. Journal of Environmental Sciences, Vol. 26, No. 9, pp. 1824–1830.
- New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. 2014. Chapter 9.10 Standard for Vegetative Filters. New Jersey Stormwater Best Management Practices Manual. Prepared by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Watershed Management, Trenton, NJ.
- New Jersey Corporation for Advanced Technology. 2015. NJCAT Technology Verification Program
- Taylor, W. B., J. Marsalek, D. Doede, and C. He. 2003. Performance Evaluation of the EcoStorm Stormwater Treatment System as a Sediment Retention Device. Environment Canada, National Water Research Institute, Burlington/Saskatoon. AEM-TN03-005.
- Taylor, G. D., T. D. Fletcher, T. H. Wong, P. F. Breen, and H. P. Duncan. 2005. Nitrogen Composition in Urban Runoff - Implications for Stormwater Management. Water Research, Vol. 39, No. 10, pp. 1982–1989.
- Tahoe Regional Planning Agency. 2014. Best Management Practices Handbook. Prepared by the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency, Stateline, NV.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA). 2012. Los Angeles Area Lakes Total Maximum Daily Loads for Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Mercury, Trash, Organochlorine Pesticides and PCBs.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA). 2014. Trash and Debris Management.
- Virginia Department of Ecology. 1999. Virginia Stormwater Management Handbook, First Edition. Volumes 1 and 2. Prepared by the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation, Division of Soil and Water Conservation, Richmond, VA.
- Virginia Department of Environmental Quality. 2011. Appendix D: Sediment Forebay. Version 1.0, Virginia Stormwater Design Specifications. Prepared by the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality Division of Water, Richmond, VA.
- Washington Department of Ecology. 2015. Stormwater Treatment Technologies Approved through TAPE and CTAPE.
- Wilson, M., O. M. Gulliver, and R. Hozalski. 2007. Performance Assessment of Underground Stormwater Treatment Devices. 2007-46. Prepared by the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, for the Minnesota Department of Transportation, St. Paul, MN.
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. 2014. Bioretention for Infiltration. Technical Note 1004.
- To see the above pages as a single page, link here
Pretreatment sizing for basins and filters strips
Guidance for managing sediment and wastes collected by pretreatment practices
Other information and links